The Miracle

If you ever have had any doubt about whether or not miracles and speaking in tongues take place please read on.

Doug and I lived in North Carolina from the time we met. He had already been there since 1980 and I had lived there, that time, since 1991. But now it was February of 1998. I had just found out that I was pregnant with our second child and in fact I was about 8 weeks along. Doug and I were going to a small charismatic church called “Agape Christian Fellowship.” The Pastor there was Joseph Sasser and his wife was Beth. Pastor Joe and Beth very quickly became prayer warriors for Doug and I during this pregnancy. The first 8 weeks of this pregnancy was very normal and we had no reason to believe that this would change. But change is exactly what was in the future. That became extremely obvious at about 9 weeks. That is a day that I will never forget. I was home with Mary, who was only 14 months old at the time. I remember playing with Mary and then getting this HORRIBLE cramp in my uterus area and knew immediately that what was happening couldn’t be good. I called Doug to have him come home that I needed to get to the doctor quickly. Praise God, Doug only worked about 5 minutes away. He was home and we were on our way to the doctor within 10 minutes of that phone call. What happened next was so incredibly scary that the only way I could deal with it was to pray in The Holy Ghost. It was one of those times that I know that had I not been filled with the Holy Ghost we very likely would not have lived. At the doctor’s office I was immediately sent for an emergency ultrasound which confirmed my worst fear. The placenta was detached and that is why I was having so much pain. The ultrasound also showed that I had a blood clot as well. The sonographer and doctor told me that I would have a miscarriage that there was nothing they could do. I was, of course, completely distraught. But Doug was so incredibly comforting. I know he was hurting, but he stayed strong. The doctor told me that I needed to be on complete bed-rest and could only get up to use the bathroom. I was also told that I could not go on the stairs or drive. Not an easy task with a baby that was only crawling. When Doug and I got back home Doug immediately called Pastor Joe and Beth and asked them to come over that we needed prayer. They were there a very short time later. I’m not sure how long, but I do know it wasn’t long. When they arrived I was sitting on our couch with my feet elevated, trying to relax, in spite of being so scared. At that time I was not able to focus on bible verses that talked about healing. I knew about them, but at the time I was so overtaken with fear I couldn’t think of them. It is in this environment that Pastor and Beth came into. Some of what I’m going to tell next is based on my memories and the memories of Doug. We were all sitting and I was in tears. Incredibly scared. I remember them anointing me with oil and beginning to pray, I think in The Holy Ghost. But we also prayed in our everyday language. At some point as we were praying I remember God’s Peace completely engulfing me, like a flood coming onto dry land. It was at that point that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God had totally healed us. But I did do as I had been told and stayed on bed-rest until the next appointment at which point it was confirmed that the placenta was completely reattached and the blood clot was healed completely, except for a small amount of scar tissue. Something that the doctors said couldn’t happen. But something wonderful did happen as a result of this trial. Several of the doctors in this practice came to know Jesus as their personal Saviour. But that was not the end of the story. I was at this point about 11 weeks along in the pregnancy. During that two week period that I was on bed-rest I spent my days at my friend, Heidi Doran’s house. Heidi has a daughter that is about 5 months younger than Mary. So the two girls played together during the day so I could rest. Heidi became one of my best friends when this started. After the doctor told me that I had been healed I was released from bed-rest. So I didn’t go to Heidi’s house everyday. But, Heidi and I still continued to get together and let our girls play together. We were part of a play group that our girls played together at and all of the moms would talk. Also during this time I was taking Mary to different doctors to find out why she was having so many struggles and we, Doug and I, found out that Mary had developmental delays in her speech, her fine motor skills and in her gross motor skills. She began to get therapy at a local university. And for a little over a month I also had a part time job at a clothing store. But one day, when I was about 18 weeks along, I was at work I needed to go to the bathroom and as I was in the bathroom I realized that I was bleeding again. I called for my store manager and told her to call Doug that something was wrong. Doug came right away and took me back to the doctor’s office again. An ultrasound was done and I was told that I had developed another blood clot. I was in tears, again. The doctor told me that this time I would go home on bed-rest again. But instead of being given a death sentence for my baby and I, I was told that I would live, but the baby would be born very small and premature. It may as well have been a death sentence to me. I wanted my baby to live! The next couple of days went by in something of a blur. That night, or maybe the next night, I went to church to a ladies night out and I remember being in so much pain I couldn’t stop crying. Heidi was sitting next to me and told the ladies what was happening. They all came around me, especially Beth and Heidi, one of the ladies anointed me with oil and they began to tell me that my baby and I were going to live and not die. I was also told that I would name Caleb Aaron and he would lead many people to Christ. Something I have held on to for many years now. I knew again that God had healed us, but again, I stayed on bed-rest until the next appointment. However, this time it was incredibly different! I knew that we would be okay. The fear was totally gone and every time fear crept in I remembered what I had been told. That we would be fine. God’s word totally engulfed my life. In the mornings I would read the Bible. I would pray in the Holy Ghost many times during the day, anytime the He would tell me to. I also would pray in my everyday language many times during the day. I was also at Heidi’s house again during the day. Many times Heidi would come over to my house pick me up and take Mary and I to her house for the day to help me. Our church, I knew, was praying. Especially Pastor Joe and Beth. God during this time taught me that He is King of kings and He was very much in control. I was told to memorize different verses in scripture which I did. God used many people during this time to help me through this. The follow up ultrasound at 19 weeks confirmed that God had indeed taken away the blood clot. The rest of the pregnancy went forward with no more complications and Caleb Aaron was born on September 2, 1998. He weighed 11 pounds and 12 ounces. He was 23 ½ inches long. Caleb was born by c-section and I remember the doctor saying something to the effect good grief, he is as big as my 4 month old! But I was also told that I would never be able to have any more children because of all the scarred tissue I had on my uterus. God has shown twice now that what the doctors may say does not always apply. I had my daughter, Ashley Susanna, on September 8, 2000. I then went on to have Christopher Antonie on February 7, 2003. All the children I have had have been born by c-section and all have different struggles. But God is in control of all of them. Every one of my children have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior. Mary has the gifts of leadership and evangelism. Caleb has the gifts of leadership and others are developing including evangelism. Ashley has the gifts of being incredibly talented in art, plus being an incredible helper and teacher. Chris is still a little young, but he is talented in speaking and leadership. All the children, except Chris, have gone to public school but in 2005 Doug and I made the decision to homeschool the kids and I’ve seen remarkable growth in all of them because of this. The best growth I’ve seen in all of them has been spiritual. I love seeing them grow in the Lord every day and my goal for all of them is to see them serve God, no matter what they do for a job.


2 thoughts on “The Miracle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s